TAU Performance System® is a portable profiling and tracing toolkit for performance analysis of parallel programs written in Fortran, C, C++, Java, Python. As part of the PARATOOLS® suite of tools, it is supported by ParaTools, Inc. It is capable of gathering performance information through instrumentation of functions, methods, basic blocks, and statements. All C++ language features are supported including templates and namespaces. The API also provides selection of profiling groups for organizing and controlling instrumentation. The instrumentation can be inserted in the source code using an automatic instrumentor tool based on the Program Database Toolkit (PDT), dynamically using DyninstAPI, at runtime in the Java Virtual Machine, or manually using the instrumentation API. TAU internally uses the Score-P system for generating OTF2 traces that may be visualized using the Vampir Pro toolkit.
TAU’s profile visualization tool, paraprof, provides graphical displays of all the performance analysis results in aggregate and single node/context/thread forms. The user can quickly identify sources of performance bottlenecks in the application using the graphical interface. In addition, TAU can generate event traces that can be displayed with the Vampir, Paraver or JumpShot trace visualization tools.
ParaTools has contributed extensively to TAU and offers annual support contracts and training workshops for TAU. ParaTools is the sole licensee of the TAU Performance System® trademark owned by the State of Oregon acting by and through the State Board of Higher Education on behalf of the University of Oregon. It is authorized to provide consulting and support services related to the TAU project.
ParaTools published price list includes a premium support offering that includes an annual support contract for $225,000 per year for the TAU Performance System®. This includes :
- Bug fixes and updates
- User support by phone, Skype, and e-mail
- Support over weekend, 7 days a week
- Custom configurations of TAU including support for C++, Fortran, C, and Python Languages
Additional two day workshops on performance evaluation tools
A separate two day workshop on PARATOOLS® TAU and related performance evaluation tools (including Score-P, PAPI, Vampir Pro, and OTF2) on-site is available for a fixed price of $14,995. The cost includes all travel related expenses and hand-outs that are provided to the participants. To obtain a fixed price quotation for this published price, please contact us.
Custom extensions to the TAU Performance System® to support unsupported runtime systems
- ParaTools, Inc. provides a firm fixed price option for $50,000 to support new runtime layers such as Cray uGNI or DMAPP under Linux x86_64 (one platform). This option includes support during the linking phase to add hooks to the runtime functions to map the performance data to unique PEs or ranks.
- ParaTools, Inc. provides a firm fixed price options to support instrumentation of specialized layers of a runtime system. E.g.,
- Chapel programming language’s I/O library under Cray Programming Environment (x86_64), ppc64le, and aarch64: $150,000.
- Chapel runtime’s atomic operations under Cray Programming Environment (x86_64), ppc64le, and aarch64: $150,000
- Chapel’s compiler-based instrumentation under Cray Programming Environment (x86_64), ppc64le, and aarch64: $150,000
- Chapel runtime system’s complete instrumentation using a specialized wrapper interposition library for library runtimes under under Cray Programming Environment (x86_64), ppc64le, and aarch64: $350,000
- The modifications are released by ParaTools, Inc. to the open source TAU distribution under the BSD-style license. Testing and troubleshooting support costs are extra and are available on an hourly basis using the labor rates below.
Fully burdened labor rate for the labor category Technical Lead is $324.69/hour. You may use this published rate for consultation on the TAU Performance System and PARATOOLS® ThreadSpotter without the annual contract. To order support for PARATOOLS® suite of tools, please use the webform.
PARATOOLS® is a federally registered trademark owned by ParaTools, Inc.